Hi Melissa; I don't know of a formula, but I had the same questions,
surveyed other local museums for their levels and bennies, and found we were all
pretty much alike.

We've found it helps to ask people why they join, esp. at higher  levels.
Sometimes it's access - i.e. not having to stand in line, or a  behind-the-scenes
or members-only event.

What do your peers do? Maybe you should follow suit - as your market will
probably look at them, too.

I call this the Pizza Hut Marketing Plan - in the '70s, when my dad was
managing restaurant marketing for a national chain, they told him that Pizza Hut
didn't spend the bucks on market research, etc. - they simply followed where
McDonald's went...

Representing a small museum with no mktg. budget, I can relate!

Best regards,

Laura Bajuk, E.D.
Museums of Los Gatos
PO Box 1904, LG, CA  95031