George (and others):  I have worked with exhibit committees, and when they are firing on all cylinders, the results can be wonderful.

Part of it depends entirely upon what type of committee you are trying to set up.  It is highly likely that one committee will not suit all of your exhibits projects.  The most common committee is an "advisory" committee, made up of historians, experts, or other interested people from the community.  They do not generally advise on design (although they will have opinions that sometimes bear listening to) but help out more with the broad interpretive message, issues of language and culture, and community sensitivities.  You develop such a committee by talking to people, looking at what has been written about your subject, and asking folks if they would be interested.

The key to working with this kind of committee is that you make sure they understand their role, and yours, from the outset.  They provide advice, but they do not have veto power over any aspects of the exhibit project.  You should, however, listen to them carefully and give all of their comments serious consideration.  They need to understand the nature of museum exhibitions, particularly how they differ significantly from written scholarly discourse.  (I've always had more problems working with academics than community members.  Academics tend to say, "you have oversimplified this."  If they do, I figure I've done my work.)

If you have a board member who is interested in your museum's exhibits in a big way, make this person your board liaison--they may be the only constant on your committees.

You might also want to consider a, for lack of a better name, disability awareness committee.  This committee could be useful to your organization for more than just exhibits.  However, it would be worth it to have this group look over your plans for exhibit and make their comments.  It is easy to overlook accessibility needs when you're designing something, and it is good to be reminded of these communities' needs.  This group would be much more likely not to vary from exhibit to exhibit.

You said you were looking for people to mentor you as you develop your craft.  For that, I would look to your colleagues in other museums, rather than board/community members.  Exhibit design is a very specific field--the practitioners are few, and the good ones are even fewer.  Only other exhibit designers can mentor you in such a way.

However, always listen carefully, and respectfully, to your advisors.  Your work as a designer will improve as you incorporate community and cultural sensibilities into your consciousness and allow them to seep into your work.  As you go along, you will find yourself reworking less and less, and you begin to get it much closer to right the first time.

Glad to see you are doing what you've wanted to do.

Best wishes,
Claudia Nicholson
[log in to unmask] [up and running soon, I hope]