I am researching the use of museum discovery guides by the general museum audience (as defined by individual museums, but not school groups).  At this point in the research, a discovery guide is defined as a document produced by museums (rather than teachers outside the museum) that provide “activities and information that stimulate visitors to work with in their social groups” in order to extend the learning experience after interacting with a specific on-site exhibit or exhibit component, such as theater presentations, hands-on activities or discovery carts. For example the National Air and Space Museum has produced a discovery guide in conjunction with their exhibit Wright Brothers & the Invention of the Aerial Age that shows visitors where to find three other Wright airplanes in the museum and suggests features to look at and discuss.

I have seen similar discovery guides at museums around the country. However, I wondered if anyone on the list has had particular success (or failure) with their discovery guides that they would be willing to share with me.  In particular, what made the discovery guide successful (or not)? How did the museum determine the guide’s success, and what were the original goals, objectives, and possible outcomes of the guide.

Thank you,

Caren S. Oberg

Audience Researcher

C. S. Oberg