http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.org/

One feature I would look for is a larger format scanner.  Go through the collection and find out what size most of your materials are and then find something that will fulfill most of your collection needs.  Some other questions you might want to ask yourself are: Is it safe to use a scanner vs. a camera?  What is the purpose of the project?  What kind of digital storage space do you have available?  Is it necessary to limit the file size do to storage concerns?  These are just a few questions.  There are a number of sites and publications that cover digitization planning.    www.dig-mar.com , www.tasi.ac.ukhttp://www.ninch.org/programs/practice/index.html  The above link reviews many scanners, mostly high end.

If you have more questions feel free to contact me.
Mike.

I am about to embark on a digitization project and have the opportunity to
buy a brand new scanner.  With such a large range of products available, I
was wondering if anyone can let me know some information about what to
look for in a scanner?  Also, if you could get anything you want, what are
some of the features that you would insist upon.

Thank you for any help and insight you may provide.

Lynn Laffey
Fosterfields Living Historical Farm