Re Memberships.

In a prior life I was the Membership and Special Events Coordinator of
an adult education school. Prior to my arrival, free memberships were
given to Board members and volunteers when there was no real Membership
program. Once a program was established, they still received a free
membership and some donors were also given free memberships. I disagreed
with this. Board members should support your institution as members and
the membership program should be developed to make those Board members
and senior donors want to be a member. We developed special events for
high tier members and free general membership events to build support
generally.

I personally think that no membership should be given for free unless it
is for an "outstanding volunteer of the year" who has given hours and
hours of service. The program should be strong enough to make people
want to be a member. Build community through partnerships and special
member discounts.

If you have more questions for me, feel free to email offlist.

Best,
Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
McFaddin-Ward House