Wow!  This is quite the conversation.   As an up and coming student I’d like to put my two cents in.

I can understand the desire to delineate between staff and general population, and it makes sense to me to an extent.  However, taking it to the limit and saying my way or the highway seems rather extreme.  If it’s just a dress code, that’s reasonable enough (but I’ve seen that go overboard too).  But forcing people to wear a uniform seems rather militaristic (unless you’re a military museum where it makes sense).  The people on your staff have been educated enough to stand out for their educational accomplishments, not to blend in to obscurity looking like every other staff member.

How many names do you remember from your local McDonalds?  You don’t because they’re just faces serving you, not individuals.

You build interaction within your community on a one to one basis and that requires your people to be recognized (visible name tags, unique add-ons such as ties or vests) but not to blend into the background where they’re relegated to answering where the bathroom is all the time because guests can’t separate the staff from the volunteer docents.  *breathe

Yeah… I’m done.

Have a nice day,

Christopher Reeves

Margaret,

I am glad that someone finally spoke with a contrary opinion.  The people who work for you sign on with an understanding of expectations, usually outlined in an employee handbook.  If they don't like an aspect of your rules, it is not their place to expect change.  Whether it be a uniform or a dress code, the people on your staff are representative of your organization, so if the administration wants them to dress a certain way to present an image to the guests, ultimately the people we are there for, then that is the way it goes.  If they don't like it, they can always find the door.

Jim Sturgill
Manager of Education and External Relations
Mahoning Valley Historical Society

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: