From a curvaceous (oh, is that another word for overweight???)  woman
standpoint  please let them have a choice!  Those flat fronted work pants
that seem to be standard uniform issue are the most dreadful things on those
of us of the well endowed booty. Ugh.
I like the idea of a choice of shirts with the logo, and pants that they
feel comfortable in.
Candace Perry
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Kim Steffgen
  Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 4:26 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: Staff uniforms

  Hmm...I detest uniforms so much, the image that came to MY mind was...you
know, why not a harpoon through the head?  : )  (a la the fake arrow deal).

  Kim

  David Lewias wrote:
    I've been reading what everone's comments and thought I'd add my two
cents....

    I can see the need for "uniforms" (of some sort) -- but what about
thinking a bit outta-the-box?  Polo shirts and kaki's are a bit bland in my
mind.  Is there some sort of other "costume" (or even an accessory like a
scarf) from the Whaling era that could be appropriate?  I'm thinking of
something like a stripped shirt or perhaps a "sailor's-suit shirt"?

    I like Ann's comments about a white shirt and tie (that can be
dressed-up/down).  But rather than a bland blue tie with the NHA logo, what
about some sorta fun (whimsical) whale tie -- remember the "fish ties" that
were so popular a few years ago -- *grin*  I know that you're located in
Nantucket, and want to convey a professional image, but nobody ever said
professional had to be "stodgy."

    Good luck with the hunt.  My family has property on Martha's Vineyard so
I'll be eager to come over and see your new space when it opens this summer.

    - David -
    David Lewis, Curator
    Aurora Regional Fire Museum
    www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org
    P.S. For those wondering - yes, I wear a fire engine tie at all our
formal museum events  :-)

Subscriber Information:
    The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).