Having worked with senior volunteers who had become much more senior
over their tenure, my suggestions are as follows:

If it is an ability to serve issue, discuss the issues with the
volunteer(s) in question.  Be frank and specific, but respectful.  Ask
the volunteer for their suggestions about how else they might
contribute, and have suggestions ready to offer.  By accepting this
person's assistance over the years, your institution has entered into an
emotional contract with them, and firing them is a last resort.
HOWEVER, if you are young (under 55), YOU SHOULD FIND AN OLDER STAFF
PERSON TO INITIATE THIS DISCUSSION WITH THE VOLUNTEER.  The more senior
in position the person is, the better. Adjusting to new limits on what a
person is able to do is a life passage that is difficult to accept and
almost impossible to discuss with a younger "boss".

If the problem is a regime change/philosophy issue, be equally as frank,
but keep the discussion on the "we need you to get on board" level and
do not confuse it with the age issue.

Kate Gonzalez Long

Legislative Affairs, Planning and Reports

California Science Center

213 744-7473