My museum recently received a vinyl record album from the 1960s that has some damage to it.  It appears that it was inside the paper sleeve for quite some time and when the previous owner attempted to remove the album from the cover, the paper was stuck and was ripped off, leaving behind a mess.  From the looks of it, it happened some time ago, since the person who donated it said they found it in the attic of their house and didn't know it was there.  There's a brown dirt-like substance on the reverse side.  Any suggestion on how to clean it or should it be left alone?  I believe we have the same album already in the collection in near perfect condition, so if nothing can be done, that's fine.  I do have digital photos of it if anyone needs better clarification.

Elizabeth Sauer Pries
Cultural Educator/ Collections Asst.
Oneida Nation Museum