Jenna, et al...

Sorry, but this is one of those "apples versus oranges"-type questions! It's not as simple as inkjet versus laser, or color versus B&W; there are many technologies utilized, and they differ considerably!

For example, inkjet printers use an ink that it either water or solvent based, and either of those might be dye or pigment based. On the other hand, lasers -- color or B&W -- don't use "ink" at all; the two predominant technologies use either toner or wax (the "melted color crayons" method), which is fused to the paper by heat. Obviously, all of these factors and variables have their effect on longevity and permanence.

I did a Google search ('"color laser" toner permanence') and found some interesting sites and articles. I found the subject matter discussed at

     http://www.macintouch.com/printpermanence.html

quite interesting. In particular, the piece by Frank R. Rezny, dated 23 Aug 99, had a really good summation of the differences. (I have to admit, I didn't read all the posts; others may be equally as good, or better.)

Another site that claims to offer detailed discussion on this subject, and comprehensive comparison reports covering numerous printers and technologies, is

     http://www.flaar.org/

This main site does little more than offer links to several associated sites. It is commercial (in that they charge for their reports), but, supposedly, the organization is associated with some university and the cost for reports ($12) defrays their expense. By simply visiting the various sites listed, it is possible to glean a basic understanding of some of the issues

     (eg: http://www.laser-printer-reviews.org/Tally_8204_11x17_A3_color_laser/product_comparisons_laser.html ).

I hope this helps!
Thom DiGregorio

PS: I wouldn't put much faith, if any, in that "pull the tape off" test!

Jenna Caroll-Plante <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I’m posting this message for an Archivist friend:

Question: Nowadays, many of our important records are only available to us online. Has anyone seen anything written about the longevity of materials printed out from laser printers? The materials are in color, so ideally I would like to print them out on the color laser printer. But the question remains, how long will the color ink last? Would it be better to make a copy in black and white? I can use acid free paper to print out on, but will that make a difference?  I am most concerned about the ink. I have heard about taking a piece of tape,placing it over the ink, then quickly removing it. If any of the ink comes off, then you know it isn't very stable and not going to last too long.  The only thing I can say for this is that the paper record I print off will last a heck of a lot longer than the electronic record floating in cyber space.

Jennifer Carroll-Plante

Curator of Collections

Canterbury Shaker Village

Canterbury, New Hampshire 03224