Hello, Everyone,

I am considering whether or not to apply to a Museology program.  I have
a degree in communication and have been a freelance writer for many
years. I want to turn my love of research, communication skills, writing
skills, etc. toward a museums career; preferably education.

I live in Portland where there are no museum programs, nor any in Oregon
as far as I can see. .The University of Washington has a wonderful
program. Joining that program would require me to move and uproot my
family. The U of W also has a certificate program; one which I could
manage without disrupting my life too much.

I realize that most jobs require the Masters. What is the general
consensus out there among you hiring managers about certificates? Would
I be wasting my money and time with a Certificate? Or, would it afford
me some immediately marketable skills, qualifying me for a job in the field?

How can I start training in this field /before/ waiting another three
years to begin and complete a program?

Thanks for all feedback.  : )

Kim Steffgen