From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Waterbury, Cristin
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 9:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: tree branches in exhibits

I'm working with some volunteers on our upcoming holiday exhibit, and
they would like to put some real tree branches into the exhibit. I'm
concerned about putting anything from the great outdoors in with
artifacts, but they plan to strip the branches entirely of all the
leaves (these would be deciduous tree branches, not pine) and seal them
with two liberal coatings of polyurethane before even bringing them in
the building. Will this effectively safeguard the artifacts? Is there
something different we should do in terms of treatment of the branches
beforehand? Or should I just stand firm and insist that this is a flat
out no-no?

Or, if anyone has snippets from an exhibits or collections policy that
address this issue, that would be helpful, too. Our policies address
live plants and cut flowers not being permitted in galleries, but this
seems slightly different.

Thanks,

Cristin

Cristin J. Waterbury