I am writing to you from a museum and archaeological site, Wickliffe
Mounds State Historic Site, located in Wickliffe Kentucky, a site along
the Mississippi River.  Our museum is the location of a pre-Columbian
Mississippan culture village (AD 1100-1350).  Professional
archaeological excavations have been conducted here since 1984, and
during the 1994 excavation, a floor of a Mississippian culture house was
uncovered, and on the floor was a rare feature--a floor painting.  The
painting was of a circle and cross motif, the pigments are red ochre and
white and charcoal black and have not been analyzed.  The floor painting
feature was carefully dug out of the ground and placed in a plywood box.
The floor itself was hardened clay.  The floor painting has been in storage in the plywood box since 1994. This feature is now cracked and in serious need of conservation help.

We are seeking professional guidance and advice on how to best preserve, conserve, and exhibit this rare Mississippian era floor painting.

Can you suggest anything that we should do for preservation/conservation?  Any advice on exhibiting the feature?

Any information you can provide would be most appreciative.  If you have
any questions, please feel free to call me at your convenience.

Carla Hildebrand
Park Manager
Kentucky Department of Parks
Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site