Christine,

There are a couple of books that may prove useful;

1. The art of selling art, there are two by different authors:
One I found was by Zella Jackson,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0965956016/002-7990966-8604840
she also has other books on the topic, here is the link at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Jackson%2C%252520Zella/002-7990966-8604840
The second one is by Bill Ritchie, which I haven't read.

2. Art marketing Handbook by Calvin Goodman ISBN:0-917232-18-6

Subscribing to Picture Framing Magazine, Decor Magazine, Art Business News joining Fine Art Dealers' Association http://www.fada.com/  Professional Picture Framers' Assocation http://www.ppfa.com/ and any number of others might help and they will also have materials useful for learning.

For cost effectively displaying artwork, I shall indulge in some shameless self promotion and suggest the ConservArt Exhibit Framing System. Deatils at http://www.conservart.com/Exhibit.htm

The one piece of advice for anyone thinking of opening an art gallery or any other  business, is to decide who they are trying to sell to and target that demographic. There is nothing worse than not having a focus, clients won't what they will find when they visit. (I probably should take this advice myself, but after 42 years I have developped sufficient following to justify most if not all of my offerings.)

George Schwartz

Christine Crame <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello Museum-L Readers,

I am a researcher that helps obtain information for small business owners and I am looking for some resources available for someone interested in opening an art gallery.  This person is looking to open a gallery that sells inexpensive art made locally by students, starving artists, etc.  In particular, I am looking for information on the general industry of art galleries, trade associations that have “start-up” information, and information on the percentage that artists/ dealers receive with sales.  I would appreciate any assistance.

I appreciate the views discussed on this list serve as I am also a graduate student enrolled in the Archival, Museum, and Editing Studies Program at Duquesne University.

Thanks,

Christine Crame

Small Business Development Center

108 Rockwell Hall

Pittsburgh, PA 15282

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml