We have done Halloween programming at two of our historic house museums in the past.  At one site, we had several "stations" that the visitors passed through.  They entered the 1st floor library where they heard a couple interesting local legends complete with the artifacts to tell the story, next they proceeded to the parlor that was set up for an 1863 funeral.  There we had two interpreters dressed in period appropriate mourning attire, a reprodcution coffin, and the entire room was decorated according to mourning practices of the time.  After they left the "funeral" the went to the dining room for a 19th century seance.  (I hope I spelled that correctly).  From there they went to our Planetarium for a show on local ghosts and legends.

At our farmhouse, we also had two interpreters dressed in mourning attire.  We also were lucky enough to have a 19th century hourse-drawn hearse on the front lawn.  While inside the house, "mourners" were told about mourning superstitions and mortuary art.  We also had a "sick room" set up where visitors could meet with a "dying" interpreter.

We did both of these programs for about 2 or 3 years.  In  order to keep people coming back, we are now having horse drawn mystery tours, and allowing the guests to tour our mansion after the tour.  I hope this helps a little bit.

Steph Taylor
Exhibits and Collections Curator
Erie County Historical Society
356 West 6th Street