Hi, I would appreciate any answers/ideas to the following questions
regarding fixing and preservation of marine benthic macrofauna:

A) FOR SHORT TERM PRESERVATION FOR ID WORK

For our estuarine monitoring program we are currently using 70% iso propyl
alcohol  to fix our samples - do you think 50% IPA would be strong enough
and do you know any differences/advantages of using ethyl alcohol rather
than IPA?

Also do you consider sea water, distilled water or tap water is best for
diluting the alcohol?

B) FOR SPECIES LIBRARY

As I understand for fixation and long term preservation a 10% Formalin
solution buffered with either Calcium Carbonate, Borax (Sodium Borate) or
Phosphate buffer is usually used with distilled water or seawater. After a
certain time period (a few days?) the sample is washed/rinsed and then
transferred to alcohol.

1. Is distilled water or seawater more suitable?

2. Is it best to use a relaxant (such as Epsom Salts, propylene phenoxytol)
to minimize fragmentation during fixation?

3. What is a suitable time period to leave the invertebrates in formalin?

4. What is the best buffer - apparently Borax may cause lysis of tissue and
clearing of pigments

5. What do you use to "wash' the samples - alcohol/water?

6. When transferring to alcohol is it best to do it gradually, ie, from a
low strength (20-50%) to a higher strength (70%)

Nathan Singleton, Environmental Officer - Coastal Ecology
Environment Waikato, 401 Grey Street PO Box 4010, Hamilton East, Hamilton

Telephone: 64-7-856 7184
Direct Line: 64-7-859 0983 extn 8983 or 8619 (lab)
Fax: 64-7-856 0551
Email: [log in to unmask]

This email is not an official statement of Environment Waikato
unless otherwise stated.
Visit our website http://www.ew.govt.nz