Re: value of a museum to the community

We tend to value what we can measure.  Can you measure the impact of  museum
visitation on test scores?  In Texas, home of Texas Assessment of  Knowledge &
Skills testing, we can correlate the impact of a visit on  increasing test
scores.

Does your convention & visitors bureau keep stats on the number of  people
who are attracted to town to enjoy your events, facilities,  collections?  Do
you keep a file of requests for free tickets, lectures,  speakers?  Those help,
too, especially when you measure them by the  pound.

All those of us who are students of Myers-Briggs and other personality
profiling systems know that different ways of looking at an issue aren't better  or
worse--they are just different.  Perhaps it's just a question of  addressing
the "count it up" demographic, which is finding its way into  positions of
political power and influence.

A thought.

Liz Bleiberg