Barcoding can be a little tricky when it comes to objects.  The most important thing is that the label does not hurt the object.  Also, technology changes over time, so someday the barcoding you used might not able to be read by the scanner, ect. I have talk to a number of people at various institutions that considered barcoding but for that it was either cost prohibitive, time consuming (because you still have to label the objects even if you code them), and/or potentially hazderous to the object.
You might look at libraries for more indepth barcoding systems...they are experts

Rosie

Jennifer Kovarik <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
My museum's curator is interested in learning more about barcoding as a part of collections
management. I would be grateful to receive names of museums and/or contact information for staff at
museums that are currently using barcoding with their collections. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Best wishes,
Jennifer Johnston Kovarik
Archivist/Education Curator
Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum, Decorah, Iowa

Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: