> But the wardrobes I've seen have hooks in them or rods for presumably, hangers.

What time period are we talking about?  We have an 1826 Federal home, and every upstairs bedroom has two closets on either side of the fireplace.  They are extremely shallow (8-10"...couldn't fit a hanger in there sideways) and were presumably built to flatten the fireplace wall.  The closets have either peg boards or shelving.

> Well less stuff is debatable but they definitely had less clothing than we do
> today. (I probably own more pairs of shoes than Queen Elizabeth I. :)

No doubt about less clothing.   Probably due to the serious lack of Target stores in the 19th century.   Don't think for a second my gender would knock me out of the running for the "most unneccessary-though cool and attractive- footwear award.  :)

Great thread.  Loving new info on room tax lore.

Paul.