Questions about DRM systems use in museums
Posted to MCN-L, Museum_L, VRA_L, Imagelib, and musip lists

Dear Colleagues,

I am compiling a list of features and functions that museums  want from a digital rights management system in preparation for a session at this year's Museum Computer Network conference entitled,  Digital Rights Management (DRM) Systems: a Museum "Wish List" (see session abstract below).

If you manage your institution's IP information, I would be grateful for your comments on the following:

What software program are you using to manage your IP information?  Is there any particular reason why you selected this program?

What particular software features or functions does this software offer you?  What other features/functions do you wish you had to manage your IP information more effectively?

What kinds of information do you record in your IP management system?  (The more specific you can be, the better.)

Have you looked at commercial digital rights management systems?  If so, was there a particular reason why you choose not to go this route?

Please respond to me off list.  I will compile whatever information I get and post it back to the list (minus individual or institutional names to ensure confidentiality), and will also post a report on the session for those who can't make it to the conference.

I am grateful for any and all assistance.

Regards,

Diane

Diane Zorich
MCN IP SIG Chair

Session Abstract - MCN Conference, November 11, 2004
Digital Rights Management (DRM) Systems: a Museum "Wish List"

Although DRM systems have achieved a high level of acceptance in the commercial sphere, museums have not sought out these systems for their rights management solutions because they perceive them as unsuitable for a museum's needs. This session will examine what museums want from DRM systems, what the market currently provides, and how other cultural organizations are using DRM systems to manage their IP. The sessions goals are threefold: to generate a "wish list" of features and functions that museums want from DRM systems; to discuss whether commercial DRM systems are adequate for museums; and to debate whether current vendors of museum information systems should incorporate more rights management functions into their products.