Dear Museum L,

I have reached the second round of interviews for a membership coordinator position and would welcome any comments/suggestions from you all to help make my application stronger. I have been asked to describe how I would recruit new members, what would I like to do the first day, and in the first month. I have drawn up my responses to these questions, but before I submit them, I would appreciate your feedback.

What would you like to do your first day?

I would hope to meet all employees, find out what they do, and what I could do for them. Begin familiarizing myself with the current membership base, its demographics and the past procedures for membership and special events.

What would you like to do your first month?

I aim to begin with a fact-finding mission so that I can fully assess current policies and programs before any changes are implemented. A goal from the start is to create a unified database of all points of contact with members and prospects. Also, I plan on discovering the most popular programs and target Corporate sponsors whose businesses relate to those programs, identifying current membership and familiarizing myself with who they are, where they live, what courses they take and their interests... Create a questionnaire for those who attended classes offered last season…  ensure proper training for all receptionists and those who coordinate classes so that they can inform those who visit the institution the benefits associated with membership.

How would you recruit new members?

In so far as how to recruit new members, the question is too involved to delve into all aspects of this. This being said, the main points I aim to cover are maintaining current members by involving them through questionnaires and establishing committees, recruit new members from those already associated with the organization but not yet a member (this includes corporate members who provide services to the institution), develop partnerships with other institutions to broaden the audience, extend membership base by lecturing on related topics at women's clubs, alumni associations, etc to spread the word, and host special events to draw prospects to the institution to see first-hand what the benefits of membership are.

I have many years of museum and non-profit experience and am well-versed in the Kotlers' excellent and practical Museum Strategy and Marketing amongst other publications related to membership and development.

Is there anything major I am overlooking?

Any feedback would be gratefully received offline at [log in to unmask] if you choose not to reply to the list.

Kind regards, and wish me luck!
Ware

L.W.S. Petznick
54 S. Russell St. #7
Boston, MA 02114
617 543 1508
www.geocities.com/staforlife/museumresume.html

"He who labors diligently need never despair; for all things are accomplished by diligence and labor."  -- Menander