  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Susan English
  Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 4:48 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Benchmarking information

  My Board of Directors has asked me to research other museums similar in
size and budget in order to have more realistic benchmarks for some of our
operational goals.  (i.e. admissions, gift shop income, program income,
fundraising income, and membership).

  We are a fairly new historical museum (less than two years old) located in
the historic downtown of city with a population of slightly more than
106,000 in a county with a population of approximately 500,000.  We are
approximately 40 miles from downtown Chicago.

  The City is trying to revitalize the downtown as an entertainment
destination.  River boat gaming came in 1990, a Northern League Baseball
team and stadium in 2002, and a comedy club and night club is about to open.
Some restaurants and retail have come to downtown but have had a difficult
time sustaining themselves so there has been a lot of turnover.  There also
are still a significant number of vacant storefronts.

  As of last Fiscal Year ending June 30th,

  We have                                    700 members

  Attendance (all events)               14,543

  Rev

  Admission                                 $17,709

  Gift Shop Income                       $20,613

  Program Income                        $12,953

  Contribution                               $49,973

  Special Event income                 $157,740

  Membership income                   $17,540

  Grants                                      $7608

  Sponsorship                              $3,500

  City stipend                               $201,800

  Miscellaneous                           $6,597

  Any help any of you could provide would be most appreciated.

  Susan English

  Executive Director

  Joliet Area Historical Museum

Subscriber Information: