Recently, I've heard many people say they have seen pets in museums – dogs in particular - and they have asked if this is acceptable practice in a museum environment.  Although one would think common sense would kick in on an issue like this, I decided to query informally some museum people about this.  This is what they said:

All agreed that dogs or any other pet do NOT belong in a museum:  visitors should not bring them in to exhibit spaces and staff should not bring them into work areas, offices, etc.  These are the problems they cited when pets are allowed in museums:

1.  Liability – if a dog bites someone or if people feel threatened by it, the owner and the institution would be liable.  Several folks mentioned that they know people who are afraid of dogs because they were attacked or confronted by them in the past.  So, pet owners beware:  even if your dog is gentle to you, it can scare others.   To bring a dog into the workplace or gallery area is thus inconsiderate of others.  It is also dangerous.  To do so could lead to action against the museum.

2.  Dogs are animals.  They carry insects, plant life and everything else and can quickly produce vomit, feces and urine.  If we are concerned about protecting our collections from pests, we should not allow dogs or any other pets near them.

3.  Respect and responsibility for collections.  Museum people are charged with upholding the public trust when it comes to collections.   That means museums not only have fiduciary responsibility to our public and to our collections, but they are also charged with providing proper care for the collections.  And the public expects this.  Just because people bring pets into their private work places or businesses allow clients to bring their pets with them doesn't mean museums should allow this.

A Seeing Eye or companion dog is another story.  That is a special accommodation made for our visitors’ comfort.

Once we start allowing dogs, what's next? Pot belly pigs, iguanas, snakes?   All of these are pets.

My informal survey uncovered a strong belief that pets of any kind  have no place in a museum environment.  In fact, the people I asked  were very opinionated on the subject and couldn't believe this was an issue.  What is the policy in your museum?  And how do you handle the visitor carrying a little dog in a purse?