These are some funny comments about dogs. John Martinson, not all dogs are big enough to sniff in embarrassing places.

I live in Manhattan and have two Shiba Inus, smallish dogs, but not small enough to be carried in a bag. I try to take my dogs in as many places as possible and this being Manhattan, there are many possibilities. I worry that if I leave them tied up, someone will steal them. I don't try to take them into stores with food; if I want a coffee from the deli or bakery, I let out the leash and they stand right OUTSIDE the door. My dogs are quiet, friendly and I do worry that the male will spray. Both, however, seem to understand the difference between inside and outside. In other words, one does one's business outside and eats, sleeps, sniffs, plays, etc. inside.

Would I take try to take them into a museum? Probably not, unless I knew it was ok. Would I try to take them to my office in a museum? Sure. Why? Sometimes out of necessity, a vet visit or I don't have the money for the dog walker or I'm going to work late and it's just easier (city dogs need a regular walking schedule, I can't just open my door and let them into the back yard. How many of you would like to have to wait three hours to go to the bathroom?). Would I take my dogs to work without getting permission or consulting my co-workers first? No. Have I taken my dogs to work? Sure, my female has gone to class with me and no, I didn't ask my students, but they knew in advance I was bringing her one day. I don't like to go into places with both of them, because two dogs can be a handful. They also don't really like to go into noisy, busy places since their lives are rather calm.

But, this is Manhattan and some people feel their dogs are more human than other people. Also, other Manhattanites know how people feel about their dogs. Have any of you seen the commercials for the Manhattan bank that brags about letting people bring in their dogs? Quite frankly, I've debated about whether or not to take the dogs when I go to galleries, never to museums. Why? Commercial galleries have a lot of traffic and some people use the afternoon walk as a venue for gallery hopping. If I had large dogs, I wouldn't even consider it.

Personally, I'd rather be in a museum or gallery with quiet dogs than with loud, undisciplined young children whose parents encourage their delighted high-pitched "appreciation" of what their seeing. I can't count the number of times MY museum experience has been ruined by an obnoxious child and even more defensive and obnoxious parents. And, yes, I have asked security to ask them to quiet their child, from experience I know it's not best for me to ask the parents.

Let's not forget that parents often also feel their child can have snacks whenever; how many of you have been admiring a Rembrandt and been interrupted by a three-year old slamming into your legs with slimy Cheerios all over its fingers? Or, been trying to contemplate the differing types of painterly abstraction, but not been able to concentrate because a toddler, barely able to walk, has been let loose in the museum and is noisily tottering all over the place, letting out a high pitched scream every time it falls down. Want to know which museums? Metropolitan Museum of Art and Guggenheim Museum respectively. Have any of you checked the price of admission at either museum lately?

My point: give me a quiet dog over a squeeling and/or treat-smeared child anyday. Maybe it's not the dogs nor the children that's the problem, maybe it's the dog owners and parents who feel the needs and desires of their "dependents" trump the needs and museum going experiences of others.

Loretta Lorance