Jake, when I was at the Getty, we used Antenna's Gallery Guides - portable CD-ROM players - and rarely had problems with outdoor use.  Our visitors carried the players all around the site and they were occasionally dropped in fountains (not to mention the hard travertine floors).  I'm sure Acoustiguide's sticks could work well, too.  So, I think either co. could provide outdoor durable equip. - perhaps, they can provide the players with waterproof skins as is done with I-Pods and handheld Palms.  Re: audio, you'll probably want to have dual headphones so that both ears are covered to both provide higher-quality stereo audio and limit external noise (of which I'm sure there will be a lot there) as much as possible.  Also, you can get headphones that have volume control in the headphone's cable.

Alison Glazier