Re: Research Fee
I will admit from the outset, that I am writing from the standpoint of a researcher.  I have come across only a few institutions that charge a research fee.  Even in times of financial woes, I find this practice counter productive.  From my perspective, museums and libraries should be trying to maximize the "use" of their collections, rather than providing any impediment at all.  This goes as well for high-priced image use fees.

When I consider the implications for the institution, it doesn't make sense for second reason.  If your collection--archives or objects--are included in a publication, it certainly raises the stature of your institution and of your collection.  You might think of this as well-placed publicity, depending upon the nature of the publication.

I can't imagine that, even if a library/archive/museum did charge a fee, that such a fee would offset much of anything.  In fact, the cost to process a nominal fee--using staff time--can actually cost the institution.
Anna Fariello

I'm posting this question for a colleague:
"Do any of you charge the general public for access to your reading room or research library?  If so, how much and is that fee applied towards something specific at your institution?"
Thank you.

--
Anna Fariello, Curatorial InSight, Box 505, Christiansburg VA 24068
www.curatorialinsight.com;  540-382-3946;  [log in to unmask]