We use a 'by type' cataloguing system (one branch of registration numbers for Vertebrates (VT89756) another for Botany (BT6574) etc.) and give items consecutive numbers in order of their accessioning.
The donor name is recorded with the individual items (often as 'Donor' Collection) which will allow items to be linked together as a single collection. Information about all our donors are kept in a Donor file, which has as much information about their history, movements and collecting as possible.
Assessing the collection's museological worth will depend on the collection information that is with the items, i.e. provenance of humanities items and collection location/date/person for natural science items.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua K. Blay [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 July 2004 12:47 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Numbering Collections

I was curious to know what people have done in the past that have come upon a collection, usually private, that needs to be accessioned and catalogued.  With very little (if at all) donor information, what ways have you gone about assessing, cataloguing, and numbering the collection?

I look forward to reading and comparing the responses.

Joshua Blay

http://www.joshuakblay.com