Hi all!

An annual fund drive is great way to remind your audience of your regular needs to keep you going, and the marvelous projects they can be part of.

As to the use of the funds collected: You should (in your letter) tell the potential donor how the money will be used, and then you must stick to that. (This is ethics + state law for California)

Our least successful drive used a letter that basically said "we're here, we're your only museum, give us money." No surprise we got zip.

More successful letters have stated recent accomplishments, and future goals. We enclose a response card with a few check-off boxes: general operating, or special projects (our top 3 priorities for next year). And a blank if they want to fill it in.

Our drives have gotten more successful as our overall programming has improved; i.e. better ambassadorship on the part of our board and volunteers.

Good luck!

Laura Bajuk, E.D. Museums of Los Gatos