Hello from Los Gatos!

Sometimes the hardest part is convincing your board that it's a good idea to accept cards. It was for me...

Our context: We do art, history and nature in a small (but lovely!) town in Silicon Valley (CA). We have a $100k annual budget, of which half comes from potential credit card sources: annual fund drive, memberships, store sales and special events. (Free admission for us.)

We are (finally) seeking a credit card processor, as my treasurer saw it work for us after I tried many ways to show her the logic in it... we had never taken cards in the past (the cost was "too high") etc. - all arguments were used to resist. (She is a marvel with numbers and I would never want to replace her, so I had to find a way around her resistance.)

For our recent special event, I (went around her and) found a way to get cc capability; our Chamber of Commerce processed the charges and did not charge us a fee. She could not say no to that deal... of the $13k we raised, over half - $9k - was put on cards! Some folks had spent their all their cash on the bar and raffle tickets. One of my own board members had brought NO checks - to a fund-raiser!

Since our treasurer had to do it all by hand (ugh!), she is now a convert and we will soon have regular cc capability.

My 2 cents! - in cash for that amount - Laura Bajuk, E.D. Museums of Los Gatos
ED@www.LosGatosMuseum.org