----- Original Message -----

From: "Susannah West" <[log in to unmask]>

To: <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 11:33 AM

Subject: charge cards

> I would appreciate hearing folks' thoughts re small museums being able

> to accept charge cards.  I know that we've lost some tours as well as

> occasional gift shop sales because people are not able to charge their

> purchases.  However, I can just imagine people wanting to charge their

> $3 admissions, and that would definitely NOT be to our advantage!

> Susannah West

> John Rankin House, Ripley, Ohio

Susannah:

When I was director of the Delaware Agricultural Museum we worked with our local bank and got a very reasonable fee for handling credit card transactions that included the necessary equipment. We took cc for any kind of transaction. Results: in a few months we started seeing significant increases in store sales and membership renewals. I actually started carrying higher end merchandise in the store that began to sell well. In one instance, donor wanted to underwrite student attendance in our summer camp program for about $1500 and she wanted to put on her credit card. This became annual and kept going up. We also participated in a couple of museum store events off-site per year. The ability to accept credit cards increased sales there as well.

We started by wanting to provide customer service and ended by increasing sales. BTW, it is my understanding that setting minimum purchase requirements is illegal and you can be fined heavily. I know, lots of people do it, but

Good luck with your decision.

Betty Brewer

Vice President, Harsco Science Center

Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts

225 Market Street

Harrisburg, PA 17101-2205

v. 717-221-8201  x1027

f.  717-221-8208