We have an item in the Museum that has been adhered to its base with silicone.  We need to detach the item from the base in order to read maker's information on the bottom of the artifact.  We have already tried monofilament line with no success.  Are there any items that can help with the removal of the silicone?  Mineral spirit has been suggested to us.  Have any of you used this, and, if so, was it successful?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Chris Goodlett
Curator of Collections
Kentucky Derby Museum