Barbara,

I would caution you and your board very earnestly to be cautious about coming under complete city control. Your institution is already in a delicate political situation, if y’all became city employees life could get really strange. For example, you might have to hire the mayor’s daughter for the position that you are advocating for, or you may lose an employee who may run afoul of the current (or future) administration. Worst case scenario, would be if the city took your museum over in order to completely defund it and save the funds expended. Caveat.

-Nicholas

-----Original Message-----
From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of BARBARA TAYLOR
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 3:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Memo of Understanding

Dear Sandra,

The High Point Museum has had a contractual agreement with the City of High Point since 1978.  Essentially the city agreed to support the staff and utility line items in our budget.  (This roughly equates to 2/3rds of the budget). The City owns our buildings , and pays for major repairs.  They pay for insurance on the structures.  This includes our six historic structures and our modern facility.  We insurance for contents... and collections.  The staff are not City employees.  We receive a "budget"each year, and the money is paid in quarterly allotments.  Our Board owns the collection.  This year we requested a new position but were turned down (economics). (Unfortunately when we expanded three years ago we didn't get the position then, when we should have).  We have one City Council person on our board as a "liaison".  They have no real voting power.  However, in recent years we have been very lucky to get strong advocates!

Under separate cover I will be happy to send you the document.  As it was written in 1978, there might be better ways of stating things.

We do not get 100% of salary support...if you include health and retirement benefits (which we try to do!!)  The Board pays for the rest of operations... raising money from memberships, fundraisers,etc.

The relationship has worked pretty well for us.  Recently the city asked if we would like to totally come under their umbrella!!  Rather strange for these economic times.  We are going to see if this would benefit us.  I will keep you posted.

Barbara Taylor

President

High Point Museum

High Point, NC  27262