David,

In my previous life as a high school social studies teacher, I worked with an organization called SPICE (Stanford Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education). They have produced a lot of great units that might be appropriate for the Yakima community. I have used the following:

Japanese Migration and the Americas: An Introduction to the Study of Migration: This curriculum module introduces students to the study of migration, including a brief overview of some categories of migration and reasons why people migrate.

Why People Move? Migration from Latin America: This unit introduces students to the complex process of migration from Latin America by examining the factors that influence and shape people's decision to leave their country.

They also have some great mapping lessons for students to understand the physical and political geography of where migrants came from.

Good luck,

Anna

Anna M. Castillo

Curator of Education