The inquiry on 19th century images gives me the opportunity to send you notice of the new version of the Bagatti Valsecchi Museum web site: http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org.

In addition to the museum's concentration on its core concepts, including an active program for children and elementary school teachers, these new efforts explore the principal interests of the museum: (1) the 19th century in Italy and Milan, (2) traditional craftsmanship, (3) historic house museums of collectors, and (4) the historic Montenapoleone district in which the museum is located. Each of these areas has its own section, available on the righthand side of the new home page (once you have chosen Italian or English).

The "19th Century" button will take you to rich pages of links, some of which are for photograph collections with web sites and images on-line. Each of the web sites has been chosen by us as pertinent and helpful, to save scholars from having to wade through mountains of material.

The "Montenapoleone" section investigates this historic area through its structures, urban development, history and famous personages.

The museological section focuses on historic house museums of collectors, a category to which our museum belongs.

Finally, the craftsmen section is a database, with free access to scholars after sign-up, of traditional artisans working in Lombardy from the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century. The database provides information--otherwise unattainable or attainable with great difficulty--gleaned from private archives, including that of the Bagatti Valsecchi family, in this region of Italy. Thus, this database provides an invaluable Italian parallel to the similar sources for American and British artisans available through the Getty.

Thank you for this opportunity to send you information about our new web site, and we hope that the sources are useful to you.

Best regards,

Star Meyer
home: [log in to unmask]
work: [log in to unmask]

P.S., Please forgive cross-postings. If you have suggestions for web sites on the 19th century, especially those that deal with Italy and Milan, would you be so kind as to forward them to me? Web sites on American and British topics in the 19th century are not difficult to find, and the few general and vast sources we have included probably will suffice. Finding material on the 19th century in Italy, particularly Milan, is difficult, so we hope this new service will be helpful to you, whether of direct interest, or for comparison's sake.