  From: Rachel Hawthorn
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 1:35 PM
  Subject: Old Photography Chemicals

  Hello,
  While going through the 'vault' of the collection I'm working on, I found some old photography chemicals. The museum used to have a wet darkroom, but now everything is digital, and there is no practical use for the chemistry.
  The chemicals are old packages, packets and tubes of acid hypo, platino developer, metol quinol developer and so on.
  I don't know if there is an "ideal" storage method for these, because we actually have a large collection of photography, and photography was a pretty important tool in the development of the west.
  So, my question is...should these older chemicals be tossed, removed by a hazardous materials professional, or kept for artifact/interest purposes....we could feasably set up an exhibit of photographic materials/tools and relevant photographs to the area from our collection...so, opinions?
  Thanks!
  Rachel Hawthorn
  Collection Intern
  Historical Society of Idaho Springs

  If I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'll put shoes on my cat.