Does this mean in hotels you're supposed to leave money for the cleaning
staff?? Whoops! No-one told me that. . .
-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Burlakoff [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 6:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: tips given to security guards and other staff

The differences in tipping are cultural. In the US many service workers are
underpaid with the expectation that the bulk of their income will come from
tipping. In restaurants the recommended norm is 15% without alcoholic drinks
and 20% with alcoholic drinks. You have to be careful with room service, in
most hotels they automatically add 15% to the bill in addition to the room
service charge, in those cases I see no need to tip the deliverer. In hotels
it is $1 per day for the cleaning staff. Casual help (baggage handling,
message deliver, etc. it) is a dollar per service. These are rough practices
I am aware of. Some folks are more generous, some less so. There is a big
difference in tipping rates depending where one is in the US. As a rule of
thumb the South is less generous while in New York you may get rebuked by a
service provider for a "tip" perceived as below par.
Cheers,
-Nicholas