A wise man once said "Just because you are paranoid does not mean "they" aren't out to get you."
    When 12 year olds are getting arrested for downloading music I do not blame you for your caution.

David Lewias wrote:
[log in to unmask]">Greetings listies....

I've got a delema, and unfortunatly I kinda think know the "right" answer, (but of course I don't much like it), so I'm fishing around for someone to tell me different . . .

Let me explain, I've got a "friend" at another museum who "hypotheticaly" was invited to do a short slide show for an annual awards party.  He integrated old photos from his collection with newer photos and the whole show was synched to snipits of various songs -- appropriate popular music that somehow matched and related to the images on the screen. The program was a HUGE success and they were besieged by folks wanting copies.

The fear -- well actually my bosses fear -- can/should these videos with this "popular" music be sold?  I've talked with several folks (including the manager of a local cable TV station) and everyone says "ahh, don't worry about it.  You're a non-profit, its an educational video, you're ok as long as you're not using the entire song."  What are the copyright rules?   Can (will?) the music industry come after us for using/selling their songs?  How can we get their "approval?" and will it cost an arm and a leg?   Any suggestions??

Sign me as - D.
(who wants to appear in shadow and his
voice disguised just incase "they" are watching)

--
Michael Wright
Curator of Collections