From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Dane Pollei
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 8:12 AM
Subject: Re: selling Videos

You cannot sell the videos unless the music is in the public domain.  Your local cable company should be aware of that.   In some cases, even the artist cannot give you permission to use the music for free.  You need to work with BMI and/or AFSCME.  You cannot play music in your facilities--including your retail unless you have signed and paid a fee to one of those two organizations, and if you sign with only one then you can only use their music.  You can get a better deal by signing with both.

Make sure you consult a copyright attorney as it is a very specialized field.  Mistakes can be costly and the music industry doesn't care about your size.

There is some acceptable public domain music, though not nearly as good.  We recently worked with our local college to film a series of commercials and they helped us find background music.

Do not sell the tape and "hope for the best" or wait until you have a problem to consult an attorney.  Just my two cents...

Dane F. Pollei
Executive Director
Brevard Museum of Art and Science
1463 Highland Ave.