From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keely Rennie-Tucker
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 9:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Training volunteers to catalog - advice needed

Hello list members,

I am going to put together a training session on cataloging for some of the volunteers at  our museum.  What are some of the more important lessons that were learned in your experiences with this?  Are there things I should watch out for?  How long does a project like this take?

The goal is to have a collection of over 4,000 objects digitally photographed, cataloged and researched by the end of the year.  My gut reaction is that it can't be done in that small amount of time even with regular, dedicated volunteers. Since I have not taken on a project this immense as yet in my career, I am needing some advice and guidance on how start this project and what to expect.  I will have a part-time intern for a couple months during the summer and 3-4 volunteers that come in anywhere between 3-12 hours per week.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Keely Rennie-Tucker
Curator