Hello Museum-L subscribers,

I am an undergraduate history student aiming towards graduate study and a career in the museum field.

My questions:  Where and how do museums and archives obtain insurance?
                       Is this insurance specifically for the collection or does it cover
                       the facility that houses the collection?

The reason I'm asking is because I am preparing a research paper in which this issue is addressed.  I also wanted to know just out of personal curiosity (I'm assuming I can't just obtain some "museum insurance" from State Farm).

Any responses will be appreciated and helpful.

Thank you,

Hilary M. Edelen
Undergrad.-History
University of Iowa