I had plans to have a baby in 1994; I didn't realize that three other staff members were going to be "in the family way" at the same time!

Our Executive Director established an on-site nursery in a large empty office down the hall from a bathroom.  The families (three participated) went together to hire a nanny and furnish the room.  Yes, we paid income tax for the nanny position!

All signed waivers releasing the museum from any responsibility for harm (roof falling in, that sort of thing) and it allowed me the freedom to have lunch with my sweetie pie, nurse (well, until he got tired of it), and hire a diaper service.  Truly, the best of all worlds!  Our nanny, Miss Margaret, made friends with some of the staff during her frequent "rounds" in the galleries, so she avoided the "there are no grown ups to talk to" syndrome.  There was no TV, so there was no temptation to park the kids in front of one.

We had built-in models for photo shoots, ads, and ...

We had no excess absenteeism from the three senior staffers.  Our son loved it.  I think there may be a treatise on kids literally raised in museums.  He now (age 9) wants to be an astronaut farmer (specialty in hydroponics, which he first encountered at age six weeks on the exhibit floor).  Talk about all the children being above average!

Contact me off list for details, if interested.

Liz Bleiberg
"my friends had a mid-life crisis, I had a baby"