Apparantly I, like Jessica and many others, am not "qualified" to be a board
member either under these standards!

We require our board members to be organization members and have encouraged
them to donate, with a goal of 100% board giving (there are a few
hold-outs). We also have a line item in our budget for Board giving (about
$1400 for 11 members). The concept of board giving was just introduced a few
years ago and our board members have been generous, especially considering
that most of them are retired from average-income positions and are relying
on retirement funds for their current income. Would I like them to give
more? Certainly. But they are donating about $1,400 more every year than
previous boards have.

Boards need to be educated about their role and what is expected of them,
especially at small organizations where many members may not have been on
boards before. They need to know there is an expectation to give, to be
presented with a goal, and to be coached in how to ask for funds from other
people. I think that requiring an amount like that in the by-laws is
ill-advised, and may discourage potential board members.

Erica

Erica S. Maniez
Museum Director, Issaquah Historical Society
425/392-3500
www.issaquahhistory.org