One concern I have had with this initiative is that it becomes cumbersome keeping the "on-call" staff up to date with changes in programs. exhibits, logistical issues , procedures  etc.

Krista Kohlhausen wrote:

Does anyone hire part-time tour guides- trained guides that are scheduled on an as needed basis?  What sort of rate are they paid? Has this worked out for you? Have you had problems with it?

We are considering adding this option to our current full time Ed Dept staff- currently comprised o full time educators who give guided tours, teach workshops and have degrees in history, education or museum studies.

Thanks-

Krista Ann Kohlhausen

Intrepid SeaAirSpaceMuseum

Vice President of Education Programs