The challenges of adaptive reuse of a building for a museum include and are not likely to be limited to:

> Box office needs (please plan for more than five people at a time to arrive for your blockbuster!)

> Technology needs (internal wiring for phones or wireless access for exhibits, staff)

> Storage needs (and can you get things back UP the stairs?)

> Guest access, especially parking, amenities (and accessible bathrooms)

Your question about ceiling height is a good one; you might also check on

> Door openings.

Even if you could fit an exhibit under the roof, you might have difficulty moving exhibition cases through doors designed in the '20s.

The Louisville Science Center and The Science Place, Dallas both added IMAX film theaters to existing buildings (constructed circa 1878 and 1948, respectively).  The issues listed above were the major sticky wickets we had to address while I worked on those projects.

In both cases, the resulting facility was historically and aesthetically superior to new construction.  Both are located in historic areas, and are treats for the eye.  Not to mention, school field trips are drawn to places where there is plenty of "bang" for the field trip buck.  The location in both cases added to attendance.

That's not to say such would always be the case; however, please check with your building committee on the issues above.

Liz Bleiberg