From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Katherine McLeister
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Are small institutions using PastPerfect?

Diane-

We are a small historical society (2 paid staff) that recently purchased the newest version of Past Perfect.  We have had our software about three weeks and I am very happy with it.  We were previoulsy working mostly from old indexes done on the typewriter and a card catalog system, so this is a huge improvement.  We ordered the basic, Digital upgrade, and the MARC record upgrade.  Currently we are not using the MARC upgrade, but I hope that it will be something we can use soon.  I found that it is easy to use if you have basic computer skills and the manual that comes with the software is pretty comprehensive.  I think it is a great value for the money and would recommend it to other institutions.  Our value was enhanced by the fact that Past Perfect offers discounts to members of AASLH.

I agree that the demo CD would be a good way to go to see if it is something that you want to purchase.  Their website also gives a list of the things that have been changed and/or added to the new version which would also be a good resourse for evaluation.

Kathy McLeister

Theatre Historical Society of America

152 N York St, 2nd Floor

Elmhurst, IL 60126

630-782-1800

Diane Goldman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm using a dated version of PastPerfect software and wonder what's
being used at other small institutions (roughly 2000 objects and twice
that number of archived documents).

We're considering upgrading, but perhaps we should take this opportunity
to change software. I understand PastPerfect has modules that can be
used for managing schedules and storing information on volunteers or
members. So far all I'm using is the capacity for object documentation.

Feel free to reply privately. I'm not sure if commercial products can
be discussed on the List Serve.

--Diane
Diane Goldman

Do you Yahoo!?