Thanks for addressing a frequently occurring issue!

And thanks for the opportunity to address it from an "outside the museum"
perspective.  If folks (usually families with disposable income and a child or
two under the age of 11, with reliable transportation) are aware of your site,
and are ongoing supporters, there may indeed be a lapse of four to six weeks
before renewals.  In my past experience, the expiration policies are drafted for
the convenience of the museum staff, not the consumer.

If they are more causal guests, they may wait until the
exhibit/program/summer class/sale occurs before renewing, with the explicit purpose of getting an
"annual membership" -- twelve months of visits for twelve months of payment.
For whatever reasons -- their lack of interest in the presentation, your lack
of changing offerings, travel schedule, other stuff happening in town, etc. --
they may not be continuous consumers.

I'd be concerned that unless one advertised that one's benefits continued for
a "grace period" after membership expiration, one might get into a difficult
position when confronted with a member upset that the "annual membership" was
only for nine months' duration.  I'd be equally concerned that members could
enjoy five years of member benefits with four years of payment!  And yes, there
are people who watch for that sort of thing.

Previous policy in museums I have worked for was that there were three
notices for renewal sent [one the month before, one the month of expiration, one the
month after expiration], and then the names went to "dormant" for three
months before being moved to an "inactive" status.  That kept records intact for
access, and gave us a prospect list in advance of major shows, renovations, etc.

Best of luck!

Liz Bleiberg