It sounds like overreacting to me.  We do serve alcohol at our museum
for special events as do many museums whose special events I have
attended.  (One of the more spectacular ones I have heard of was an
elaborate ice sculpture that had an ice chute where shots of vodka were
poured at the top and by the time they made it down the ice sculpture
into the glass they were icy cold.  Spectacular presentation for a
blockbuster exhibit not at our museum.)  The events are run through our
Foundation who has to get a liquor license for each event (since they
don't need a general liquor license, we don't have them that often).
The Foundation does it because we are a state agency and there are lots
of rules about state agencies/employees serving/consuming alcohol on
state property.  You have to comply with the liquor license but as long
as you do that the biggest problem you'll probably have to face is
keeping the food and drinks out of the exhibit areas.  One of the more
popular events hosted at our facility is a wine tasting sponsored by the
Rotary Club.  If you are concerned about liability issues contact the
museum's attorney and your insurance carrier if necessary given the
advice of counsel.

Elizabeth Moore

Snip.
Any thoughts out there on the pros and cons of providing wine/beer with
hors d' oeuvres while hosting a gathering for a local visitors bureau?
We have a board member who is very much against this for liability
reasons.  We also have space available for wedding receptions and are
co-sponsoring an art exhibition with an opening reception. This has
become more of an issue than we would like it to be.  The board is split
on the issue and the staff needs a decision made, one way or the other
as this is dragging on. Does anyone have know of any legaleeze dealing
with museums and serving alcohol? Should we get waivers and/or
disclaimers signed by parties renting our facilities in regards to
alcohol consumption?  Are those anti-boozers on our board over
re-acting, or are the others being  careless? Is common sense not
enough?  Meanwhile.............. the event will be here before this can
be resolved, so anything you good folks can do to poin

Thanks for listening,

Grant Gerlich
West Overton Museums

Subscriber Information: