Debora,

We are a history museum, so our setup is somewhat different, but…

We place a podium at the entrance of each exhibit which is staffed by a volunteer or employee.  On the front of podium, we have a sign (about 24x36 in.) which includes the following (not exact text, this is from memory):

Help us protect our Texas Heritage!

1) No food/drink in galleries.  (with a symbol)

2)  Exhibit tags required. (with a symbol)

3)  No flash photography (with a symbol)

4)  Caution some uneven surfaces.  (with a symbol; we have "themed" floors which simulate different terrains in Texas, although ADA compliant, we get both positive and negative comments on them)

We have most artifacts in cases, but have had to resort to putting paintings behind guardrails or plexiglass barriers because of touching issues.

This is a constant concern for us, so we have the signs up permanently on the podiums.  Again, since most of the artifacts are in cases, we are somewhat protected.  Hope this helps.

Shoshanna Lansberg

Exhibit Content Coordinator

Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum

P.O. Box 12874