Hi Tricia,

As one who formerly worked in Visitor Services, I can say with absolute
confidence: The meaning of messages to visitors gets clouded when you try to
rephrase a "don't" or "can't" into a positive format.  For example, which is
clearer to you:

Sample #1:
        "Please no photography."
        "Please keep your camera in your pocket."

Sample #2:
        "Please do not touch the artwork."
        "Please keep your hands to yourself."

While we enjoy the psychology of being nice, it is not effective.  I cannot
tell you how many people, in 3 1/2 years at my former workplace, took
photographs of artwork after being told -specifically - photography was not
allowed under any circumstances.  How many more would have taken photographs
had I clouded the issue with ambiguous wording . . . ?

When you are dealing with important materials, don't you want to do
everything in your power to protect it?  To do so, you must say what you
mean to visitors and not dance around the issue.

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Curator of Education
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
Utah State University
4020 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT     84322-4020
T 435.797.0165
F 435.797.3423

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Charles Moser, b. 1922

  _____