Message
Do any of you have signs in your art museums on visitor do's and dont's? We are in the process of investigating options for signage to assist visitors in knowing proper museum behavior (maintain a safe distance from the art, do not touch art, no flash photography, etc.). Our initial plan was to hire a designer to create a sign/poster soley for Family Days and use symbols and very little text to make it easy for both children and adults to understand. We host about 5-6 Family Days per year and the event attracts a lot of first time museum visitors and children. Attendance can range from 600-1000 people. At present, a list of Gallery rules appears on the back side of a sheet with the museum floor plan. It's black and white and everyone doesn't read it. After further discussion, we thought we should consider a permanent sign on view year-round and not just on Family Days to help us protect the art. If you have signs on proper visitor behavior ...

1) Where is your sign(s) posted? Is it a permanent sign or a temporary sign?

2) Do you use symbols, icons, or text? Is the text in more than one language?

3) How large is your sign?

Thanks,
Debora

Debora McDell
Coordinator of Community Programs and Outreach
Memorial Art Gallery
500 University Avenue
Rochester, NY 14607
Phone: (585) 473-7720, x3034